Friday, December 14, 2012

Shooting at Sandy Hook

In 2nd Samuel 22, David cries out to God, after acknowledging Him as his stronghold:
2 "The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; 3 my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior-- from violent men you save me. 4 I call to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies. 5 "The waves of death swirled about me; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me. 6 The cords of the grave coiled around me; the snares of death confronted me. 7 In my distress I called to the LORD; I called out to my God. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came to his ears. 
In times of tragedy, where peace has fled and despair has flooded our hearts and minds, we can seek out the comfort of God and His people.  He is the One who can give us hope in the times when we are at our lowest.  And, even when we think that we cannot sense His presence, we can be assured that He is there, He is our source of comfort and deliverance, and even in the midst of unspeakable travesty, He is faithful.

John 10 reminds us who the author of life is, and what the enemy would desire to do in people's lives:
10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. 
Today we keep in our prayers the families of the children and adults who lost their lives as a gunman opened fire in Newtown, CT at Sandy Hook Elementary School.   ABC News reports that the alleged shooter

I have to think back on my conversation with Ray Comfort yesterday, as talked about the man-on-the-street interviews that he conducted asking the question, "would you murder for money?"   He was very emphatic that we as a society have been sold a bill of goods that has caused us to devalue life in a significant.   If we don't believe we - or others - are precious in the sight of God, created in His image, then we will make errant choices.   When we as a culture turn our backs on the ways of the Lord, then evil will reign, evil will take root in the hearts of human beings, and people will act according to their sinful nature, which for some will mean that they will take the life of another.

John Lennon's murderer just wanted to be famous.   Who knows what the alleged shooter, apparently the father of a child at Sandy Hook Elementary, may have had on his mind - it doesn't justify opening fire on a school full of children, or anyone else.   He believed the lie that his motive was legitimate, and the father of lies fit his job description - he stole innocence, he killed dozens of people, and he destroyed, at least temporarily, lives who will be haunted by the tragic images of others dying around them.

So, we pray for peace, for a fresh knowledge of the Prince of Peace, for the presence of Almighty God to touch the lives of the families affected and for those of us who are following the story.   If you're a parent, this no doubt stirs deep emotions - I'm sure there are some who have wanted to go to their kids' school and pull them out, putting your arms of protection around them...that's perfectly understandable.   We live in a fallen world, evil will occur, and that's why it's so important that we look for ways to be light to people that seemingly have none.   And, pray for these people in need in Connecticut in the days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment