Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Diving In

When we are seemingly far apart from God, when we may feel like we are without hope, we have a Savior who loves us, who knows us, and is offering the way to a new life, an abundant life in Him.
Consider these words from Romans 5:
8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
9 Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.
10 For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

God loves each and every one of us, and we have to be convinced that He wants the very best for us. He is reaching out and inviting us to experience what He has in store for us.  Even when we are rebellious and seek our own way, thinking that somehow we have all the answers, He is patient and kind. And, when our own bad decisions reap harmful consequences, He is there to restore us and help us put things back together.

+++++

In Psalm 40, we see the picture of someone who was experiencing trouble, but encountered the
mighty hand of God.
(1b) I waited patiently for the Lord; And He inclined to me, And heard my cry.
2 He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, Out of the miry clay, And set my feet upon a rock, And established my steps.
3 He has put a new song in my mouth-- Praise to our God; Many will see it and fear, And will trust in the Lord.

The Olympics continue in Rio and my series of commentaries in The Front Room continue to spotlight various Olympians - on the opening day, I shared about what God is doing in the life of Michael Phelps, then yesterday, it was runner Allyson Felix.

Today, I want to concentrate on an Olympian who wrote on his website, "For much of my life, I bowed at the feet of gods fashioned of gold, silver and bronze."  This young diver qualified for the Beijing Olympics in 2008 and was set to make his mark - instead he finished 10th in his competition.
The Olympic experience did not provide the rush or satisfaction that he was looking for.

He decided to attend college and restore normalcy to his life.  On his website, David Boudia writes:
Because I didn’t go to a “normal” high school and didn’t have many “normal” relationships during my teenage years, I tried to make up for that by getting as many friends as I could. The only way I knew how to do that was living the party lifestyle. That’s an easy thing to do on a college campus. Though I was battling depression, I was able to mask it by trying to be the popular guy on campus. Since people knew I was an Olympian, this was a chance for me to get the fame and the glory that I craved.
Life was continuing to unravel for David.  He was drinking heavily, and he had the mindset that his satisfaction came from his next drink.  Admittedly, his life was in chaos, and a friend recommended that he talk to his coach, whose name was Adam.  He writes:
Adam and his wife began sharing the gospel with me – the good news that though I was a sinner, and though my personal problems were a direct result of my rebellion against a holy God to whom I was accountable, the Lord nevertheless loved me and had done everything necessary to secure my salvation. God himself came to earth in the person of Jesus Christ to live a sinless life and die a gruesome death on the cross – taking my sin upon himself and bearing God’s wrath against it for me. Christ then rose from the dead, conquering sin and hell and Satan forever. They told me what the purpose of the cross was and what Christianity was all about.
As I sat in their rocking chair listening to them talk, it was like plugs popping out of my ears. I was receptive to what they were saying and not turned off by it. Over the weeks ahead, I began learning more about the Bible, about Christ and who he was. I learned about our sin problem and why Christ came. I began to understand that I was a faulty, rebellious creature who was sinning against a holy, perfect God. I knew that the only way I would reign with him and live forever was by having Christ in my life.
 God changed his life - and his approach to diving.  David writes:
Because of the work that Christ had done in my heart, my diving was transformed. I continued to develop my skills, and in 2012 I once again made the Olympic team. This time, however, things were different. I didn’t go to the London Olympics desperately seeking to win a gold medal. I went to London desperately seeking to honor the Lord, to minister to my teammates and fellow competitors, and to enjoy the experience for what it was.
Last night, David Boudia won the silver medal in the synchronized 10-meter platform event with teammate Steele Johnson.  Later in the Rio games, he'll compete in the men's 10-meter platform event, in which he won gold in 2012.

He has authored a book called, Greater Than Gold: From Olympic Heartbreak to Ultimate Redemption.

Some lessons that we can learn and apply:

The story's not over; perhaps at your lowest point, that can be the beginning of a new chapter of God's plan for you.  David Boudia was totally disillusioned; he admitted his life was in chaos, but the Lord showed Him the way to abundant life.

But, out of his rebellion, David came to a point of repentance.  The adverse circumstances we encounter, apart from walking with the Lord, are warning signs for us and show us the immense love that the Lord has for us.  When we have messed up, we can know that He is waiting to restore us.

God sent someone at just the right time to show Jesus to him.  Are you prepared to speak truth to someone whom God may bring your way?   David said he wanted Adam, his coach, to give him a quick answer to his messed-up life - as he writes, "He gave me Jesus instead."  And (reminiscent of a scene in the movie Fireproof), we can only give what we actually have - so, out of our experience with God, His love and truth will overflow from our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment