Monday, October 24, 2016

40

In 1st Thessalonians 4, we see a template for a life that pleases God, one that impacts others and
communicates hope:
(10) But we urge you, brethren, that you increase more and more;
11 that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you,
12 that you may walk properly toward those who are outside, and that you may lack nothing.
13 But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope.

God is calling us to build our lives on His strong foundation, and upon Him, in the strength of Christ, we can experience rest.  We can, as the Scripture teaches, lead a "quiet" life, not a life of silence, but a life that is characterized by the peace of God, demonstrating a reliance on Him, not a restless life that reflects instability, but a restful life that reflects an unshakeable hope in Christ.  Under the control of the Holy Spirit, we can be confident that He holds us.

+++++

We have to be so careful that we are building our lives on a strong foundation, the foundation of
Christ. 1st Corinthians 3 says:
11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,
13 each one's work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one's work, of what sort it is.

There's a popular Christian song from MercyMe that features the songwriter or the singer reflecting on what he would say to his younger self.  Bart Millard, lead singer of the band, said this in an interview with Guideposts:
I started thinking, If I could sit with the 8 year-old version of myself, what would I say to him? It was one of the hardest songs I’ve ever had to write. A lot of people carry those issues with them, they carry that guilt and shame around their neck like it’s part of them. That one is particularly special because of the response that we’ve had. I’ve gotten emails from people saying, "This has broken me free of something that I’ve carried a long time," so, that’s really cool.
He referred to grief counseling he and his wife had gone through after the death of her brother over a decade ago, as well as the damage done by his own abusive father.  The song says:
Dear younger meI cannot decideDo I give some speech about how to get the most out of your lifeOr do I go deepAnd try to changeThe choices that you'll make cuz they're choices that made me
If you are an adult now, so what were you like at 16 or 17 years old?  And, what would you tell your "younger self?"

I came face to face with that "younger me" recently as my wife and I attended my 40-year high school reunion.  I mastered the art of smiling and looking into faces, while cross-referencing the face I saw with the senior portrait that was reflected on the name tag.  You see, when I was that age, really my senior year in high school, I had only really begun a spiritual journey - even though I was raised in a Christian home and accepted Christ at a relatively young age, I really never got what church attendance or the Christian life was all about, but I began a search during my senior year in high school.

I wonder how many of the people in that room were really satisfied with the trajectory of their lives. I wouldn't be surprised at the number of people who might say that life doesn't always work out the way that you plan.  And, sometimes that's good!

I had one conversation I had that night with two other guys who were just some of those in my class who had ended up in ministry.  That can remind all of us that we might make our plans, but when God intervenes and His power is released in our lives, He will do incredible things in our lives.  And, even though I remember very few God-conversations during most of my high school years, now taking stock of that class, it is interesting to see how He showed up in a significant number of lives.

And, I'm one of them - and I might tell that "younger me" to look for God's hand, to be an outspoken disciple of Christ, and to expect incredible things when God shows up in your life.

A few other random thoughts:

For one thing, you never know how you are going to be remembered, but we can each be challenged to live your life in order that you would be remembered well.  This doesn't mean to be "people pleasers," but to live for Christ.   It is certainly interesting what people remember about you, and we are each building a reputation. Even today, we can be challenged to build well on a strong Christian foundation.

And, I think that we can also cherish lifelong friendships that we have.  Up until a few years ago, I have lost touch with a number of those that I hung out with 40 years ago.  Fortunately, through Facebook, I have been able to keep up with some of those people, and there was a greater sense of connection this year at the reunion because of it.  I had a conversation with someone who had encountered some difficult times in his life and he related to me about how he was grateful for those lifelong friends, those who can walk with you in your darkest moments.

In that setting, you can relish the fond memories that you have shared together and really be thankful.  I was even blessed to have some conversations with some people whose lives that I impacted, that I really didn't realize, which can be deeply gratifying.  Sometimes, you really never know how the way you live your life can affect someone else.

Bart Millard sings:

If I knew then what I know now
Condemnation would've had no power
My joy my pain would've never been my worth
If I knew then what I know now
Would've not been hard to figure out
What I would've changed if I had heard

So, what would I tell myself 40 years ago?  It's a relevant message for today - be faithful.  God's got this. With all the struggles of high school and college, many of which will shape our adult lives, I think a greater reliance on God and realization of our identity in Him can certainly get our lives headed in the right direction, His direction.  And, even when we stumble - and we all will - we can find the course on which He wants to place us.


Dear Younger Me
Songwriters: Barry Graul / Bart Millard / Ben Glover / David Arthur Garcia / Mike Scheuchzer / Nathan Cochran / Robby Shaffer
Dear Younger Me lyrics © Music Services, Inc

from Google search

No comments:

Post a Comment