Friday, January 18, 2019

No Kissing

The philosophies of the world can present great pressure to the believer in Christ to conform. But, we can stand strong in the Lord and consider how we can love Him more than the world.  1st John 2
states:
15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world.
17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.

To the world, because we are in Christ, we can present the element of distinction.  God has called us to live in a certain way, and we have the opportunity to show that we are different than the world. We are a peculiar people, 1st Peter 2, says.  We are placed in this world, yet we are called to be distinct from it, so that we can show those around us a superior way to love.  We can search our hearts and make sure that we have not adopted worldly philosophies and are passionately devoted to Christ.

+++++

Jesus taught about discipleship, and reminds us that there is a cost for following Him.  I believe that our faith demands that we follow through on that faith. Luke 14 says:
27 And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple.
28 For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it--
29 lest, after he has laid the foundation, and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him,
30 saying, 'This man began to build and was not able to finish.'

In this age where you see a number of men who are behaving badly and not reflecting traditional masculinity or walking according to the teachings of the Scriptures, it can be refreshing and instructive to hear a story of someone who has taken a strong stand to glorify God.

Recently, there have been a number of stories about an actor named Neal McDonough.  He was cast back in 2010 for an ABC show called, Scoundrels.  But, he would not engage in a sex scene with his co-star, so he was let go, an incident that the network described as a "casting decision" at the time.

FoxNews.com has a story about McDonough's journey of purity on the screen.  He is quoted here:
“I was [surprised], and it was a horrible situation for me,” the actor recently told Closer Weekly. “After that, I couldn’t get a job because everybody thought I was this religious zealot. I am very religious. I put God and family first, and me second. That’s what I live by. It was hard for a few years.”
McDonough, in fact, had determined he would not kiss any other woman than his wife.  He was cast on the show, Desperate Housewives.  The article says:
“When [creator] Marc Cherry signed me, I said, ‘I’m sure you know, but I won’t kiss anybody,’” recalled McDonough. “He was like, ‘But this is ‘Desperate Housewives!’ I said, ‘I know.’ He paused for about five seconds and said, ‘All right, I’m just going to have to write better.’ And we had a great time.”
McDonough met his wife, Ruve, when he was filming Band of Brothers in 2001.  He reflects on their almost 20 years together, during which they have had five children...
...to have her as my partner in everything, I’m just the most blessed guy I know,” said McDonough. “That’s why I go to church every day and say thank you to God for everything he’s given me. And most importantly, thank you for giving me RuvĂ©, because, without her, I most certainly would not be talking with you right now.”
McDonough believes his stand is something that he just, well, has to do.  The Fox story says:
And why does McDonough continue to act knowing he might face scrutiny for his no-nonsense rule on axing any sex scenes? “Because I have to,” he shared.
“That’s what I’m supposed to do,” said McDonough keeping busy as an actor. “God gave me this talent of being an actor, and I’m not going to waste it. That’s just who I am. I love working, and with five kids and a fantastic wife, I want to make sure I’m taking care of everyone. That’s what my dad did, and that’s what I’m going to do.
This story is reminiscent of a situation at the end of a film in 2008.  The movie was Fireproof, and the character played by actor Kirk Cameron was called upon to kiss his wife.  A Today show article says:
Cameron will not kiss any woman who is not his wife.

“I have a commitment not to kiss any other woman,” the former child star of “Growing Pains” told Hoda Kotb and Kathie Lee Gifford Monday on TODAY in New York.
To get around the conflict, the filmmakers employed a bit of movie magic, Cameron explained. They dressed his wife, actress Chelsea Noble, like the movie’s female lead and shot the scene in silhouette.
“So when I’m kissing my wife, we’re actually husband and wife honoring marriage behind the scenes,” Cameron said as Gifford and Kotb melted from the romanticism of the moment.
Cool.

We can continually ask ourselves, "What are my convictions?"  Perhaps there are lines that you have drawn, codes of behavior to which you adhere in which you are so grounded that when an opportunity to violate them arise, you are quick and strong to reject it.  And, that is good to be able to analyze such scenarios, as long as those convictions are grounded in Scripture.  We can consider, or pre-determine, how we will respond in certain situations.

And, the Bible relates the principle of counting the cost.  You know, you may find yourself in a position where you may lose something in order to please the Lord.  But, He is faithful and will bless your obedience.  What may be stripped away may just be replaced with something far greater. It is never wrong to do the right thing; and we can experience the satisfaction of obedience, the knowledge that we are right with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment