Thursday, December 15, 2022

(ADVENT 19) Unwrapping Christmas: Empowerment for Service

We can display the evidence of the presence of Christ in us. We have been born again and Jesus now lives in our hearts; He desires to express Himself through us. Hebrews 13 contains these words:
20 Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,
21 make you complete in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.

Another translation uses the word, "equip," in verse 21.  Jesus not only has shown us how to live through His earthly example, but His Word provides solid instruction for us.  His Spirit empowers us to live a life that pleases God, and we can be confident that Christ lives in us.  Jesus told His disciples that He came not to be served, but to serve and to give His life. In that spirit of self-sacrifice, we can be dedicated to serving others, humbling ourselves before God, and allowing His power and His love to flow through us.

+++++

We are now on Day 19 of "25: A Christmas Advent-ure," the Faith Radio Advent Guide, with the theme, Unwrapping Christmas.  This is the beginning of another week, and over the weekend, there were two additional entries: Day 17, on which the gift was His wisdom, and on Day 18, for which the gift was an eternal home in heaven.  

Regarding the gift of God's wisdom, the corresponding Scripture verse is found in this passage from 1st Corinthians chapter 1:
30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God--and righteousness and sanctification and redemption--
31 that, as it is written, "He who glories, let him glory in the Lord."

Yesterday's gift, our eternal home in heaven, is referenced in this passage from John 14:
2 In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.

That brings us today's gift that we will "unwrap," empowerment for service. A passage in 1st Peter 4 contains the corresponding Scripture verse:
8 And above all things have fervent love for one another, for "love will cover a multitude of sins."
9 Be hospitable to one another without grumbling.
10 As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
11 If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

Verse 10 directs us to minister to others using the gift that God is given.  We are empowered by the Holy Spirit in order to bring glory to His name.  The use of our gifts is an expression of our love for God and for other people.

I came across a moving story of the power of forgiveness recently.  Mark Strand is the grandfather of a 7-year-old girl whose body was found after she had gone missing earlier this month. The suspect has been apprehended.  A Faithwire story relates that Mr. Strand had posted on Facebook: “A friend just asked me the other day if I believe God speaks to people. I happen to know He does, as He is speaking to me now,” adding, “This flesh, this man that I am, is angry and I want 5 minutes alone in a cell with the psycho that took our Athena away from us.” He also said, though, “But there’s a soft gentle voice in the back of my head telling me I need to forgive him.”

The article continued to recount the powerful words of a grieving grandfather:
“This flesh man hopes he remains blind and deaf to the message of salvation and never sets foot in the same heaven that I know in my heart my darling Athena resides in now,” Strand continued. “And yet, that gentle voice persists. Why, you ask? Because Hate is a powerful force that will take root in your soul.”

He went on to say God wants to protect people from hate, calling it a “gateway for evil” in the world today. Then, Strand clearly explained who that “soft gentle voice” is in his heart and mind.

“That gentle voice is the Holy Spirit of God speaking to me right now,” he wrote. “He’s reminding me that my savior, Jesus, willingly laid Himself on a cross and died in my place to reconcile me to God the Father, but also that He did that for All of us, even this man that my flesh so hates at this very moment.”
The article also notes:
Pushing past the hurt and pain, Strand concluded his post by publicly forgiving the accused.

“Hate will not win. I hope my family will understand that I don’t do this for the sake of this man,” he wrote. “I do this for the sake of my family and myself and to Honor the voice of God who is giving me the strength to say this. I do this to honor our precious Athena who knew no hate.”

This is a story of deep hurt and pain, a struggle with the forces of evil, and the triumph of forgiveness. It demonstrates the love of Christ, the love that wins, the love that motivated our Savior to die on a cross so that sin and death could be defeated.  So, we can remember that because of what Christ has done for us, we are to exhibit His love to others - and out of that great love, we can exercise the giftedness that the Lord has granted to us. 

You can recognize the work of the Holy Spirit through Mark Strand's words, and the inner struggle that is occurring.  The enemy would want us to keep us complacent and consumed with ourselves. He will sideline us with all sorts of tools, including a resistance to allow the love of God to flow through us.  The Lord is directing us and equipping us to serve Him.   The Holy Spirit provides the direction - He shows us where to go and what to do, and provides the power in order to carry out what God has ordained for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment