Monday, August 28, 2023

Keep Pressing

As we keep our eyes on Jesus, we know that He will one day call us home to be with Him, but until then, by the strength that He gives, we continue to do His work. The apostle Paul captured that in 2nd Timothy chapter 4, writing:
6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand.
7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
8 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

This world is not our ultimate resting place, and we can view our existence here as part of God's plan for us.  We are people on mission, who are called to grow in Him and to reflect and share what He has done for us.  While we may retire from an occupation, we can continue to do the work of the ministry; for we have all been called. We can develop a long-term perspective and seek to glorify God in whatever stage of life we find ourselves.

+++++

In Philippians 3, Paul encourages believers to continue on the trajectory to which God has called them - drawing closer to Him consistently. He writes:
12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.
13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead,
14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
15 Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal even this to you.

I don't believe there comes a time in the life of a believer in which we make the conscious decision to just lay it all down, head back to the house, and withdraw.  Now, there may be extenuating circumstances later in life that would sideline an individual - even so, God does not forget that person.  But, by and large, as the Leeland song says, if we have breath in our lungs, we're not done.

It's heartening to hear about seasoned citizens - in their 80's and 90's - who are allowing themselves to be used of God.  That's the story of a lady who was featured in a 1819 News story last year. 

Her name is Mary Glynn Peeples.  The story relates how she and her husband, Sam, got married in 1955, but a dramatic change in the course of their lives occurred in 1964; it states:

After the couple became born-again Christians in 1964, their journey really began. Sam brought Campus Crusade for Christ to the University of Alabama, and although Mary was along for the ride, she said Sam was the ringleader.

“He just had a love for evangelism,” said Peeples. “I was not as loving of it as he was. He kind of dragged me along. I did what he wanted to do because I loved him.”

The couple had three children and were eventually called to do missionary work. She had never lived anywhere but Alabama so the call to do mission work in Asia was a big change for Peeples.

“Dr. Bill Bright, who founded Campus Crusade, challenged us to move to Asia,” said Peeples. “When he presented me with that idea I said, ‘Where is Asia?'”

During their time in the Philippines, the couple led a school for Asian Christians, and they taught Bible classes in various churches.

After three years, the couple headed to Washington, D.C. where they spent two years helping to start the Christian Embassy to reach people in government.

The Peeples met and ministered to a number of influential people; then, they became involved in Christian counseling.  

In 2012, Sam passed away, but Mary Glynn continued to be active in ministry.  She is quoted as saying: “I’m 90 years old, and I am slowing down a bit but I love it and I just have a heart to teach people the truth because the truth sets you free,” adding, “There’s so many miserable people in this world and I just want to help show them that it can be different.” As the article points out, she is still involved in counseling and teaching Bible studies on a weekly basis for adults, as well as children.

Even though Sam is no longer on the earth, Mary Glynn knows where he is; she says, "...after he died, I decided that I had to think on truth to survive, and the truth is that he is in Heaven and Christ is in me. So, when I go to bed at night and miss him, I think about that and that excites me.”  And, she has this desire when she reunites with him and goes home to be with the Lord:

“I hope that I have left the fact that the information in the Bible is the most important information in the world,” said Peeples. “Jesus told Nicodemus, ‘You must be born again,' and Nicodemus said, ‘How do you do that?’ Most people want to do what’s right but they don’t know how. Never tell anyone what to do unless you can tell them how to do it.”

Mary Glynn Peeples has certainly told people how to do it - how to walk the Christian walk - and continues to do so.  She is a wonderful example of someone who is dedicated to doing the Lord's work until He calls us home.  Certainly, there will be extenuating circumstances that may sideline us along the way.  But, we are not exempt from doing ministry - if we are able - until our expiration date, when we change locations from this earth to our heavenly home. 

She still does a podcast called, Peeples' Passion.  And, as we grow, we can continue to develop a passion to draw closer to God and know Him better.  We should, as the apostle Paul teaches us, continue to press on in that trajectory, not looking back or drifting back, nor standing still, but moving ahead in His strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment