Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Age is Not a Factor

In Psalm 37, David shares about the faithfulness of God he experienced, even from a young age.
25 I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread. 26 They are always generous and lend freely; their children will be blessed.  David saw the hand of God on his life, even from an early age, and I believe that we can be used of God, as children, and even in the twilight years of our lives - there is a purpose, and as we surrender ourselves, to become vessels through which the Holy Spirit can work, we will see the Lord show up in incredible ways in and through us.   In the book of Jeremiah, we see that there was a call of God on the prophet's life for mighty exploits even before his birth...from chapter 1:6 "Ah, Sovereign LORD," I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am only a child." 7 But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. 8 Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD.


There is a 6-year-old girl from Woodbridge, Virginia, who will become the youngest contestant ever in the Scripps National Spelling Bee after winning a regional competition in her home state, winning out over 21 top elementary and middle school competitors. Her winning word: "vaquero," a word of Spanish origin meaning cowboy.   Her name is Lori Anne Madison, who is home-schooled, and told a Washington, DC-area TV station,"My parents quiz me. I read lists and I have a really good memory.   Based on incomplete records, the previous youngest contestant is believed to have been 8 years of age.

And, today, I have to think about a young man, who at 8 years old in the 1920's began to sell soft drinks and then magazines door-to-door - he began a paper route at age 12, opened his first restaurant at age 25, and turns 91 today - that would be Truett Cathy, the founder of the immensely successful Chick-Fil-A restaurant chain.  Up until about 2 years ago, he taught Sunday School to young boys - relating to them the importance of faith, responsibility, and character.

I thought today about how sometimes we sell our young people short and don't encourage them to set goals and attempt bold endeavors, especially allowing themselves to be used of God.  And, as parents, we can encourage our children, blessing them and affirming that God wants to work in and through their lives.
Another example that comes to mind: Alex and Brett Harris wrote a book called, "Do Hard Things", which challenges young people to step out and allow God to work through them.   We can be reminded that AT ANY AGE, God can use us if we make the quality decision to serve Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment