Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Lessons from the Lighthouse

Philippians 3 gives us some insight into the importance of Godly discipline as we allow the light of Christ to radiate through us:
12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. 13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.  The apostle Paul recognized that the Christian life is a journey - as we abide in Him, we experience more of His presence and we bear fruit for His glory.   Walking in the Spirit means that we exhibit self-control, concentrating on Him and His light in our lives so that we do not walk in the ways of this world.   Our willingness to develop Godly character will enable us to walk in freedom over those things, those sins, that would hold us back in our pursuit of spiritual maturity.  1st Corinthians chapter 9 reminds us of the importance of discipline as we seek to keep our lights shining for Jesus Christ:26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.
Recently, we had the opportunity to go to Pensacola to attend the burial of my wife's grandmother at the Barrancas National Cemetery at the Naval Air Station there.   While at the station, we decided to "tour" the lighthouse that is located there, a lighthouse built in 1859 and still functioning today.  After ascertaining that there was no elevator to the top, we proceed to go inside the core of the lighthouse...It is truly an intimidating sight to look up and see 177 stairs in a spiral staircase - stairs that don't really allow those going in opposite directions to pass beside one another very well.   After about 50 stairs, I was just about done, but I wasn't about to let the rest of my family go to the top without me - so with perseverance and steady pacing, we made it to the top.

We had been told that at one time, in order to provide the fuel for the lights, that workers had to carry 5-gallon buckets of oil up those 177 steps.   And, there was a bit of difficulty following the Civil War in maintaining well-behaved and competent lighthouse keepers - During the 23 years following the relighting of the tower, 11 individuals served as head keepers. Nine of them had to be removed for reasons ranging from intoxication to dereliction of duty.  Finally, in 1886 the appointment of George T. Clifford ended the string of short-timers. Clifford served thirty-one years, until his retirement in 1917. 

Keeping the lighthouse lit was therefore no small task.   And, it speaks to the degree of difficulty in keeping our lights shining for Christ.   To get to the light itself, you had to climb 177 steps...that is no small feat, especially when you're carrying the oil for the lamp.   So there is a significant measure of discipline.  Getting the oil - the fuel - to the top was a critical and even burdensome task.   Our lights are fueled by the Holy Spirit, the indwelling presence of Christ - as we allow Him to flow into our lives and as we grow in him, we radiate the character of the Lord and impact the lives of others for Him.   The apostle Paul wrote often about self-discipline and self-control, recognizing that our fruitfulness for the Lord and our fellowship with Him are dependent on our willingness to be disciplined and determined to press forward in Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment