Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Olympic Observations IX: Peace (Kelly Wells)

Philippians chapter 4 contains a verse that might be familiar to many of us, but shows the way the anxiety and peace are polar opposities of one another:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

We cannot know God's perfect peace if we are walking in anxiety.   If we are anxious, we are indicating that there is an area or areas in which we have not trusted God or perhaps not relinquished control.   Where anxiety and fear are present, we are demonstrating that we are attempting to exert human effort and reasoning, rather than rely on the abundant power of Almighty God.   Peace comes as we recognize that He is in control, He is upholding everything in His mighty power, and He is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond what we ask or think.

In Matthew chapter 6, we see the words of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount about the danger of worry:
31 Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 

She was the bronze medalist in the women's 100m hurdles, finishing behind her USA teammate Dawn Harper.   Kellie Wells is a believer in Jesus Christ, and she is quoted on the BeyondTheUltimate.com website as saying:

I used to worry a lot about things like, “Am I going to do well (in my sport)? What’s going to happen?” I know now that whatever path I’m on is already set; it’s done. So me worrying or stressing about it isn’t going to make it any different. As long as I keep living right and praying and staying in the Word (the Bible), God will give me all the gifts in my heart that I ask of Him.
She tweeted out following her bronze medal performance:
God has gotten me to this point. he brought me to my coach, my fam, friends, support systems. I am forever astonished by his wonders.
This young lady has the right perspective, and I believe that her care-free attitude was also demonstrated when she was able to lavishly congratulate the gold medalist Sally Pearson.  


Jesus cautioned us against worrying in Matthew chapter 6.   Worry and anxiety, which in a recent survey were rated among the highest sins we commit, can absolutely choke out the abundant life that the Lord has in store for us.   When we hold on to tightly to the things of this world, we are not able to enjoy what He has provided for us.   When we are anxious and fearful, we are not able to experience - or appreciate - the work of God in our lives.   The degree of our worry indicates the extent to which we are relying on the hand of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment