Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Wave

Unity is a word that we hear a lot these days - unfortunately, it has come to be defined as "agree with me, or you are wrong," and could even lead to being ostracized. This is harmful in the culture, and certainly in the church. It runs contrary to what Paul writes in 1st Corinthians chapter 1:
10 Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For it has been declared to me concerning you, my brethren, by those of Chloe's household, that there are contentions among you.
12 Now I say this, that each of you says, "I am of Paul," or "I am of Apollos," or "I am of Cephas," or "I am of Christ."

The love of Christ and the truth of Scripture are powerful unifying forces in the body of Christ. He is the head and every one of us who are saved are part of that body - we have different functions and a variety of gifts, yet we can blend together as one.  I recall hearing that unity is not the same thing as unanimity - we won't agree on everything, but we can seek to find common ground on the basis of our shared beliefs in Christ, related to the Word of God.

+++++

We can extend our hand and our hearts to the people around us, being conduits of the love of Christ. 1st Peter 3 gives these encouraging words:
8 Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous;
9 not returning evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary blessing, knowing that you were called to this, that you may inherit a blessing.
10 For "He who would love life And see good days, Let him refrain his tongue from evil, And his lips from speaking deceit.
11 Let him turn away from evil and do good; Let him seek peace and pursue it.

In Fayetteville, Georgia, there lives a man named Ned Vandiver.  Ned obviously wants to use the time and opportunity that God gives to Him wisely.  Fayetteville pastor David Chancey, who wrote a piece picked up by The Baptist Paper website, discovered Ned as he drove down a local road.  He was standing beside the road, waving.

Chancey describes the man's wave as "...an energetic gesture, with his arm fully extended, moving from one side to the other, like a windshield wiper in full motion. He catches every driver."  Why does he do it?  Ned says, "I wondered what I could do to promote love, peace and unity. I felt God told me to wave. Don’t worry about the ones who don’t wave back. Every wave comes from the heart.”

Ned grew up in Anderson, South Carolina, whose mom was raising four children as a single mother. He worked a variety of jobs even during his childhood in order to help support the family. He went to college, including Morris Brown University in Atlanta.  He spent two years in the Army and returned to Anderson, where he worked in a series of jobs, including a tire factory. He eventually became an assistant manager over a number of stores in an auto tire and repair chain before buying an oil change franchise.

Ned relates: “They gave me the worst store you could get and couldn’t believe the volume. We turned the store around in sales and production. I was a work horse. I ended up with three stores.” And, as Chancey relates, "He and his wife Mary began Second Chance Ministries to help those needing assistance. About 50 percent of his hires had a criminal record. Some stole from him, others lied to him and many employees didn’t make it, but he helped where he could."  Then he entered the season of retirement.

The article says:
Ned desires to live out what pastor Tony Evans recently asked his Wednesday night Bible study participants at Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship in Dallas, Texas, “Am I a reconciler, or am I a combatant? Am I contributing to what God has done for me, bringing harmony where there was conflict, or am I one who keeps the fire (of division) burning?”

Ned said, “I wanted to know ‘what could I do?’ It’s not about me. It’s about my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I’m trying to be a good neighbor and do what I can to bring people together. It’s a shame we can’t come together as one.

So promoting love and unity is his motivation; he says: “That’s the reason I wave. If you feel like I feel when I wave, you’ve got to know you love that person you’re waving at whether he cares for you or not.” 

He is especially concerned about racism, saying that, “A house divided cannot stand! You’ve got to love your fellow man and you cannot be prejudiced. Racial prejudice is learned.”  

Ned has been motivated by Faith Radio programmer Dr. Tony Evans, who had asked the question about whether or not someone is a reconciler or a combatant.  That is key these days - because disunity is tearing at the fabric of not only our culture but at the Church.  Disagreements provide the platform for polarization.  We can walk in love, even toward those with whom we disagree.

After we stop working, the work ideally does not stop.  Ned had a successful career, but you could say that his "assignment" in the Kingdom has changed.  That's OK - that happens, especially when people age.  Those referred to as senior citizens may find themselves with more time on their hands, and it's gratifying to see them take advantage of those years that God has given to them.  Tomorrow, you'll hear from a woman who is an Alabama native that has become an active blogger and writer, who desires to use her writing to reflect on God's blessings in her life and to leave a legacy of stories for her family.

Ned Vandiver also reminds us to ask a very important question: Do we look at and view people with genuine concern, given to us by the Lord?  When we see others as fellow human beings, created by God, and recognize that we are called to love all people, because Jesus loved and died for all, it can generate a greater sense of self-sacrifice and propel us to good and charitable service.

No comments:

Post a Comment