Monday, July 24, 2023

Rebuilt

We can rejoice that God is at work through the body of Christ, building lives on a firm foundation. 1st Corinthians 3 says this:
9 For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, you are God's building.
10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it.
11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Jesus shared the parable in Matthew 7 about the two men who built houses on differing foundations - both faced storms, but the house built on the rock, rather than the sand, is the one that stood.  We can be reminded to make sure our foundation is solid, that we have built our lives on principles that are consistent with Scripture, and to reflect that stability to the world around us.  Jesus said that His Church would be built on the rock of the knowledge of Him, and the Church can be positioned as a place of refuge in our world. 

+++++

In the first chapter of Philippians, Paul is commending the church at Philippi and reminding them of the incredible, transformative work that God does in our hearts by the power of the indwelling Christ. He writes:
3 I thank my God upon every remembrance of you,
4 always in every prayer of mine making request for you all with joy,
5 for your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now,
6 being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;
7 just as it is right for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart, inasmuch as both in my chains and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, you all are partakers with me of grace.

A young man was a construction worker - building things - but his life was falling apart.  At The Christian Heart website, he relates:

During my early years, I wandered through life, desperately searching for meaning. Addiction and the weight of my past mistakes burdened me. Deep inside, I yearned for something more substantial than the hollow pleasures offered by the daily grind.

One fateful day, as I took a break from my construction work, I stumbled upon a small, weathered church hidden in a forgotten corner of the city. Intrigued, I entered, seeking refuge from the turmoil in my heart. Little did I know that this moment would mark the beginning of my transformation.

This man, apparently named John, was welcomed into that church and began to be a "regular attendee."  But, more than just going to church, He became a follower of Christ and was "immersed" in what Jesus had to say.  And, his life was radically changed.  He states:

I found the strength to overcome my addictions, mend broken relationships, and make amends for my past mistakes. The love and forgiveness I experienced from my newfound faith community played a vital role in my journey toward healing and restoration.

As my life was renewed, a deep sense of gratitude consumed me. I felt called to give back. It was during my time on construction sites, using my skills with my hands, that I recognized the profound connection between my craftsmanship and my love for Christ. I realized that I could utilize my talents to repair and renovate churches in need, symbolizing the transformative power of Christ’s love within physical spaces.
His application of those skills became a conduit for him to share about his transformation through Jesus. He says: "Not only did it impact my own life, but it also became a beacon of hope for others who sought an escape from darkness. My dedication to serving God through my construction skills showcased the depth of my love for Christ and my desire to share that love with the world."

John's life has been rebuilt through his faith in Jesus Christ. You might even say, "replaced." He has a new foundation, and he is a new creation in Christ Jesus, as 2nd Corinthians 5 says. Now, he is not only physically rebuilding church spaces, but he is showing people how their lives can be changed through the power of God.  He declares:
And so, armed with my faith, my tools, and a heart overflowing with love for Jesus, I continue to use my construction skills to repair and renovate churches during my spare time. Each nail I drive, each wall I paint, and each prayer I whisper become tangible expressions of my love for Christ and my unwavering commitment to sharing that love with the world.

This story is a reminder that God doesn't just come into our lives to make us better - He comes to make us new.  Jesus shared about the concept of putting new wine not into old wineskins, but into new ones. So, in order for Him to live inside of us, He gives us a new heart.  As the Scripture teaches, the old has passed away, the new has come. 

Christ has welcomed us into His family, and when we welcome Him into our lives through our confession of faith, a dramatic shift occurs.  We move from death to life, from the kingdom of darkness to the kingdom of light.  The Bible teaches us that we have a new foundation, and God works to completely transform our lives.  We must move away from the fallacy of "self-improvement" and "self-reliance" to totally rely on Him to do the work He desires to do. 

God doesn't build on a weak foundation.  The Christian life is not a matter of adding God to the equation so that we might be a better version of ourselves.  He is the equation - He provides the power to change, to have victory over sin and to walk according to who He says we are; as new creations, reflecting the presence of Jesus and the power of the Holy Spirit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment