Friday, October 4, 2024

God on the Gridiron

As we surrender to God, we can discover more about how He desires to work in and through our lives for His glory - it's important that we build that awareness of His presence with us each day. Colossians 3 reminds us:
23 And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men,
24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.

The college football season is certainly in full swing, and it gives us an opportunity to consider how the Lord is at work through players whom He has placed in these programs in order to bring glory to His name.

Movieguide ran an article recently, in which it pointed to a recent opponent of the Auburn Tigers, stating:

A video posted by Christhlete on Instagram shows three players praying.

“Beautiful to see Taylen Green, Addison Nichols and Josh Braun from Arkansas football team coming together to pray after their victory over Auburn on Saturday night,” the outlet wrote.

Christhlete also referenced the Bible verse, 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, which says, “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”

The article zeroed in an Green, relating:

In a recent post, he shared several photos of him on the field and captioned them with Isaiah 43:19: “See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.”

Movieguide quoted from a Sports Spectrum article, which quoted Green: "I try to display that every time I go out on the field…I want everybody that watches me to, you know, see that light — see Jesus in me,” adding, “I want to take it off the field too…you know, God created me for more than just being a football player. I know, like, that’s my ability for sure, but, you know, I just wanted to be that light in the community.”

The article also quoted from a previous Movieguide article which described what had occurred at Ohio State: 

Per Sports Spectrum, “On Sunday evening, a number of current Ohio State players held a faith event on campus, organized by former receiver Kamryn Babb and attended by both OSU students and others from around the United States. The Lantern, Ohio State’s independent student newspaper, reported that the event was made possible through a collaboration of a number of local Christian churches in the Columbus area.”

I thought I would take this topic a bit closer to home.  In fact, just this week, Sports Spectrum featured an article centered on Alabama QB1 Jalen Milroe.  The article stated:

Milroe is undoubtedly one of the biggest names in college football, but he’s not after his own glory or fame.

“I get my strength from my Lord and Savior,” Milroe said last season after earning Alabama’s starting quarterback job. “I honestly say that, and I surrender my throne to Him, and I know that I can lean on Him no matter the circumstance. I honestly say I put my trust in Him no matter what.

“That’s where I get my strength at. My favorite Bible verse is Philippians 4:13: ‘I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.’ And I can honestly say that. I can always lean on my Lord and Savior through any situation.”

While Alabama travels to Nashville to face Vanderbilt this weekend, Auburn travels between the hedges to face Georgia, a team coming off that loss last Saturday to Alabama.  

Payton Thorne showed improvement in the game after rocky performances against Cal and Arkansas. The website, AuburnTigers.com, featured a story about Thorne last year, in which he is quoted as saying: 

“My why every time I step out there is playing for my Heavenly Father and just trying to give back to Him what He’s given to me,” Thorne said. “It’s been the No. 1 most important part of my life. My parents have instilled that in me. Just going out there to glorify Him and do all I can to be at my best.”

A 2021 Sports Spectrum piece reported that when Thorne was at Michigan State, following a victory over archrival Michigan, he said: “None of this happens without my Heavenly Father,” Thorne said. “That is what everything points to. I look to Him for everything and I can’t be more thankful for all that He has done for me.”

Millions have watched these two competitors throughout their careers at their respective schools. To think about how these young men perform at a high level week after week in front of screaming fans and interested viewers is truly amazing.  And, then to not shy away from the faith that drives them is remarkable.

They play for what has been called, "an audience of one."  Certainly, they are watched by many, but ultimately, what counts is their love for and obedience to the Lord. 

But, quite frankly, they're no different.  Each of us has a calling upon our lives; Jesus came to save us and if we follow that plan for us and are saved, we enter into our Savior's plan for our lives.  We do what we do for that "audience of one."  And, we may not have millions observe our lives, but the numbers do not matter, it's our desire to obey God and to trust Him to empower us to follow through that are key.  In this "Famous Friday" commentary, I like to point to those people who are considered to be "high-profile," but the truth is, whether we minister to thousands, hundreds, a small circle, or another person, we are here to exalt our Savior

No comments:

Post a Comment