Friday, May 25, 2012

Fleet Week and God's Glory

We have been created to honor and glorify God, and we read in Philippians chapter 1:9 And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment, 10 that you may approve the things that are excellent, that you may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ, 11 being filled with the fruits of righteousness which are by Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.

So, we seek ways that we can honor God - to worship Him, as well as to life a life pleasing to Him, so that His glory, His nature may be seen in us.   As we serve the Lord with joy and radiate the light of Christ, we are drawn closer to Him and we testify to His presence in us - we call attention to a great and mighty King, we put Him on display!!

In Psalm 72, we see the desire of God expressed:
18 Blessed be the Lord God, the God of Israel, Who only does wondrous things! 19 And blessed be His glorious name forever! And let the whole earth be filled with His glory. Amen and Amen.    He wants to display His glory and majesty to the entire earth - and He has placed us here so that people might be reminded of the works of God.   On Memorial Day, we remember not only the immense sacrifices of those who have bravely served our country, but also the work of Almighty God, who has established our nation, who has sustained it and blessed it.  And, He calls us, His people to display His righteousness through the way we live our lives, so that people may see His glory through us.
John Piper writes on his Desiring God website:
Probably no text in the Bible reveals the passion of God for his own glory more clearly and bluntly as Isaiah 48:9-11 where God says,
For my name’s sake I defer my anger, for the sake of my praise I restrain it for you, that I may not cut you off. Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver; I have tried you in the furnace of affliction. For my own sake, for my own sake, I do it, for how should my name be profaned? My glory I will not give to another.
I have found that for many people these words come like six hammer blows to a man-centered way of looking at the world:
For my name’s sake!
For the sake of my praise!
For my own sake!
For my own sake!
How should my name be profaned!
My glory I will not give to another!
What this text hammers home to us is the centrality of God in his own affections. The most passionate heart for the glorification of God is God’s heart. God’s ultimate goal is to uphold and display the glory of his name.

I was struck by an incredible image from New York City this week - a host of mighty sailing vessels, used by our Armed Forces, sailing into the city, honoring those who have served and reminding us of the strength of our nation's military.   And, in the background, the Statue of Liberty, which serves as a powerful symbol of the freedom that our military have fought to preserve.  Not to mention the drama of the Blue Angels flying overhead.  It's Fleet Week, which this year also coincides with the 200th Anniversary of the War of 1812, which was fought as a protective measure to preserve American sovereignty against British provocation.

I enjoy parades, and Fleet Week is a seafaring parade, a majestic display of America's history and glory.  And, it can serve to remind us to honor those who have served our country - if you have the opportunity this weekend, please take the time to thank those in our military for what they do for all of us.

And, give praise and honor to God for His preservation of our nation!   People came to America to establish religious freedom, to honor God, and I believe this nation was founded on Christian principles, and has been preserved and blessed because collectively we have dared to acknowledge Him.   

God calls us to honor Him, to call attention to His presence and His works in our lives, to make Him famous, in essence.   And, He uses us, His people, to display His glory - in fact, He has created us for that very purpose, so that His glory may be shown through us.    If we cognizant of that purpose, I believe it will affect the way we live our lives, and it will have a dramatic impact on the world around us.   So be careful to honor God - with our individual and corporate worship, as well as our lifestyles.  

No comments:

Post a Comment