Friday, June 28, 2013

Across the Canyon

In Ecclesiastes, Solomon discusses the importance of striving for excellence, making the most of the time that God has given us here on earth.  Chapter 9, verse 10 says:
10Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work or device or knowledge or wisdom in the grave where you are going.

We have one life to live, and God calls us to live in a manner that pleases Him, as we seek to fulfill His calling for our lives.  There are unique opportunities that we have, and as we approach life with the attitude that in some cases, we may only have one chance to minister in a situation, to share Christ with another person, and even to see and experience those one-time memories or milestones that He enables us to be a part of.   And, since we are not promised tomorrow, if we mess up or misstep, we are not guaranteed a "re-do".  So, we can approach life with a fervor, a desire to make the most of every single day and opportunity that He has given.

Colossians 3 can help to shape our attitude, as we recognize that the purpose of what we accomplish in life is to bring glory and honor to the name of our Lord:
17And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.
23And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men,24knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.

Another day, another death-defying feat from a member of the Flying Wallenda family...Nik Wallenda walked some 1400 feet on a tightrope across the Grand Canyon on Sunday...1500 feet in the air! Without a safety harness. The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association reports that he gave God the glory every step of the way: "Praise you, Jesus. Oh, I love you. Thank you, Jesus. ... Lord, help me to relax, Father."

It's reminiscent of his attitude that he related to the BGEA after his 2012 walk over Niagara Falls. "It was more peaceful that you would imagine," he said. "I trust in Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior. That's where I find my peace, the peace that passes all understanding."

Wallenda is apparently intent on using this platform to exalt God.  When his walk over the falls was complete, he was met by a customs agent, who asked him, "What was the purpose of your trip?"

Without missing a beat, Wallenda responded: "To inspire people around the world."

Nik is in the third generation of Christians in his family and going to church and talking about Jesus is "something I grew up knowing."  He accepted Christ into his life at the early age of 4, with his Sunday School teacher leading him to the Lord. "My mother (Delilah) found my commitment card," he said.
He started practicing tight-rope walking at the age of 2, but tried hard not to be any different than those around him.
"One of the challenges we have as Christians in general is we tend to give off this persona that we're in this elite club," Wallenda said. "The truth is that the only difference is I know I've been saved by grace through faith. That Jesus died on the cross for my sins. That's what sets me apart from anybody that doesn't know that.
"Other than that, Romans 3:23 says 'All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.' Therefore we're all created equal. We've all made mistakes."
"I believe God has given me a gift and a talent that can be used to bring glory to His name," said Wallenda, who trains five-to-six hours a day. "I don't go up there unprepared or untrained and say it's up to God whether I make it or not. Not in any way."  He says, "I train very long and hard, just like any athlete will train for any sporting event...The fact is, if I were to lose my life, I definitely know where I'm going."
So, Nik Wallenda may have an unusual craft, but he can be an inspiration for all of us - he dreamed growing up of large-scale highwire walks, and took the necessary steps to become better and better.  He wasn't just content to ride on his name or relax in past history...he works, trains...and trusts God.   And, those are our components, too - if we want to be excellent at anything, it takes paying the price.  We do recognize that God gives us an inner strength and peace to accomplish exploits for Him.   So, we prepare physically and mentally, but I believe He calls us to integrate that spiritual component, not on top of everything else, but to provide the fuel and motivation for all that we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment