Tuesday, October 10, 2017

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

In Romans 12, we see words of encouragement as we seek to honor and respect one another, and to
display respect in our culture:
9 Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good.
10 Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another;
11 not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord...

Words such as "honor" and "respect" could actually stand to become more prevalent and widely used in our culture, not to mention more dramatically demonstrated.  We see a penchant toward dishonor, and I believe we, as the children of God, could lead the way in practicing civility.  Sure, there are times when we will disagree with others, but we have to be careful not to demonize and repel, rather to reflect Godly character.  And, we can be challenged to be listening and loving, even toward those that show hostility to us.

+++++

1st Peter 2 gives some direction regarding respecting others, including those who are in authority:
13 Therefore submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake, whether to the king as supreme,
14 or to governors, as to those who are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and for the praise of those who do good.

Later in the chapter, we see this verse:
17 Honor all people. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the king.

Many have been inspired by the story of a young man who was shot in the Las Vegas massacre over a week ago.  Thomas Gunderson was involved in helping to get other people to safety, in the midst of the hail of gunfire at that concert site.  According to a piece by Todd Starnes at FoxNews.com,
In the midst of the chaos and carnage, Thomas kept wondering if what was happening was really happening.
"We heard the rounds going off but we kept thinking, it's fake, it's fake," he said.

A split second later, a bullet plunged into Thomas' leg.

"I went straight to the ground. It didn't hurt. My body numbed up," he told me. "I was covered in a pool of blood -- it was shooting out. It was literally everywhere."
Thomas said he dragged himself behind a row of bleachers.
"I was getting scared at that point," he said. "I thought I might bleed out."
In a matter of minutes, two young women came upon Thomas and administered life-saving first aid. One of the women wrapped a belt around his leg, while the other got some men to carry him to safety.
In the hospital, Gunderson received a visit from President and First Lady Donald and Melania Trump. Thomas said it was "one of the greatest moments in my life..." And as Starnes writes, "...even though he was in severe pain, Thomas was determined to stand up and greet the president." He told Starnes,
"I told my family that I was going to stand up and shake my president's hand - out of respect for him and our leaders and our nation..."

Embedded in the article is a link to Gunderson's Facebook video of the encounter. It has received some 25 million views.  Thomas wrote, "I will never lie down when the President of this great country comes to shake my hand! There may be plenty of issues in this country but I will always respect my country, my president and my flag. Shot in the leg or not, I will stand to show my President the respect he deserves!"

The headline states: "Vegas survivor: Shot in leg or not, I'm standing for my president."

Whether or not you support or oppose the President, this is an inspiring story that illustrates the importance of respect.  And, in the aftermath of this Columbus Day weekend, it's a Biblical lesson that bears some contemplation.  There are stories of precautions that were taken yesterday to keep vandals from defacing statues of Christopher Columbus, a man, someone who was certainly imperfect, as we all are, but who set out on a journey, inspired by the Holy Spirit.  According to the Institute for Creation Research website, the Book of Prophecies by Columbus contained these words:
"At this time I have seen and put in study to look into all the Scriptures, cosmography, histories, chronicles and philosophy and other arts, which our Lord opened to my understanding (I could sense His hand upon me), so that it became clear to me that it was feasible to navigate from here to the Indies; and He unlocked within me the determination to execute the idea...
And, one could consider the shortcomings of Columbus, as did he:
I am the worst of sinners. The pity and mercy of our Lord have completely covered me whenever I have called (on Him) for them. I have found the sweetest consolation in casting away all my anxiety, so as to contemplate His marvelous presence.
I have already said that for the execution of the enterprise of the Indies, neither reason, nor mathematics, nor world maps were profitable to me; rather the prophecy of Isaiah was completely fulfilled...
So, perhaps he regarded himself a tool through which prophecy would be fulfilled.  Again, an imperfect man, but his legacy has been honored and appropriately memorialized for a number of years.  Unfortunately, there are those that would want to minimize or erase that legacy, resorting to destruction of property - is that appropriate?  Certainly not.

The issue here is that people have the right to disagree with one another - but, should always do so with respect.  The article does not give us information on Thomas Gunderson's political views; but he chose to, regardless of injury, stand up and respect the President.  He showed respect for his office.

I have shared about the seeming lack of respect in so many quarters of society today.  People are prone to physically deface property and to verbally destroy people.  We are called to a higher standard as citizens of our great country and specifically as members of the body of Christ and His representatives.  Is protest acceptable?  In some cases, of course.  But, our public disagreement should always be in a civil manner.  And, if we have we should always strive to work out our differences with individuals in private.

I think we can also reflect on respecting God and His Word.  I have been reading recently in Ezra and Nehemiah, books dealing with the rebuilding of the Temple in Jerusalem after the Babylonian captivity and the rebuilding of the wall around the city.  When the wall is dedicated, there is a massive worship service.  We read in Nehemiah 9 that the people gathered together in fasting, in sackcloth and ashes.  For one-fourth of the day, the Book of the Law was read; for another fourth, the people confessed and worshiped.   In verses 5 and 6, we see that the priests called out:

(5b) "Stand up and bless the Lord your God Forever and ever! "Blessed be Your glorious name, Which is exalted above all blessing and praise!
6 You alone are the Lord; You have made heaven, The heaven of heavens, with all their host, The earth and everything on it, The seas and all that is in them, And You preserve them all. The host of heaven worships You.

I was struck by how the people gathered together and honored God's Word - the previous day, Ezra, the priest, read the Word of God for long periods of time.  We have to make sure that we have not become so consumed with desiring the things of this world and caught up in its distractions that we do not show the proper respect to the things of God.  If we develop a more respectful attitude toward Him, I believe that has the potential to influence the way that we regard other human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment