Friday, November 3, 2023

Committed to a Cause

We have been appointed by God to be His representatives, and we can choose to be involved in activities and causes that are consistent with His heart. Colossians chapter 3 states:
15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful.
16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
17 And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

So, we have a filter through which we can evaluate what we do - we are directed to act in accordance with His will, to act "in His name."  So, what does that mean?  I think that implies right action that flows out of right action. We can devote ourselves to His cause overall and to specific causes that reflect our devotion to Him. And, we can make sure our motives are right, acting with joyful hearts and desiring to please our Heavenly Father.

+++++

We are called to obey out of our love for God and love for other people, embracing joyfully the direction of the Lord upon our lives. 1st Corinthians 13 provides some reflection:
1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Congratulations to the Texas Rangers, the new champions of Major League Baseball, having defeated the Arizona Diamondbacks four games to one in this year's World Series.

And, off the field, competitors Chris Stratton, who is a relief pitcher for the Rangers, and Pavin Smith, who plays in the outfield for Arizona, have teamed up with a Christian organization to try to win victory over infant mortality, in partnership with Compassion International.  Its website notes that:
Stratton and Smith have come together as teammates for an important common cause, “The Fight for First.”

It’s a tragic reality that thousands of babies around the world won’t make it to their first birthday. Every year, 2.6 million babies in poverty don’t survive their first 28 days, and most die within the first week of life due to pre-term birth or delivery complications. In many regions in the developing world, mothers also face severe and life-threatening conditions. Approximately 830 women die each day from pregnancy or childbirth complications.

The Fight for First is involved in bringing awareness to this worldwide issue and resources for some 500 centers to assist these newborn children to live through their first year. 

Stratton says, “’The Fight for First’ is helping pregnant moms not only safely deliver their children, but get those children to their first birthdays,” adding, “As a father of young children myself, I have seen how babies are incredibly vulnerable when they are born. If we can get these children through their first year, the odds of their survival increase dramatically.” So far, over 150 centers have received the needed funds.  

Stratton is the "team lead" for the effort, and in an interview with MLB.com, recounted some aspects of his fatherhood journey:
When my son was born, it was a life-changing kind of deal. I didn’t really know what to expect. I knew I’d love him, but I didn’t know I’d love him that much. You almost feel like you don’t have any more love for anybody else besides your wife and your son -- and then you have two more kids.

When me and my wife first tried to have kids, it took us a little bit to have one. We considered adoption. We’ve always wanted to be parents, and it’s truly one of the best things.

In fact, he and his wife were ready to fill out the adoption papers when it was discovered that his wife was pregnant.  Chris Stratton says:

I’m a Christian, and I believe God does things for certain reasons. Certain situations happen in life, and you see how you respond to them. I think that we were faithful in pursuing the adoption process. I think that if it’s adoption later on in life, I think that’s something that me and my wife can really see ourselves doing.

Smith is a former first-round draft pick for the D-Backs, and made news in 2017 when he did something quite unusual.  The Arizona Republic reported that Smith...

...used a portion of his $5 million signing bonus to pay off his parents’ mortgage as well as the home equity loan they’d taken out. Nearly a year later, the video of Smith presenting his parents with the gift still warms the heart – and the memory of it still brings Pam to the verge of tears.

Smith was featured, along with former University of Virginia teammate Adam Haseley, in a Sports Spectrum article, in which he is quoted as saying: “I continue to thank him for the blessings,” adding, “Every time I hit a home run, I point to the sky. Just try to give the glory back to him.”

It is inspiring to see athletes devote themselves to causes which glorify the Lord and help other people. We can consider how God would use us to bring attention to His name as we love others unselfishly. In an age of self-glorification, we can make it our goal to draw a contrast and show that we love Him above everything else.  

Because when it comes right down to it, it's all about our obedience.  And, we obey God out of great love for Him, with grateful hearts for what He has done for us. We can waste time pursuing so-called "causes" that don't reflect Christ.  Or we can be good stewards of the time God has given to us and make sure that we are walking in a way that pleases Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment