Thursday, February 20, 2014

Where is the Wise?

We're encouraged in Ephesians chapter 5 to walk in Godly wisdom:
15See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise,16redeeming the time, because the days are evil.17Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is.

The Lord has provided us the tools in order to walk in a wise manner, demonstrating our dedication to and understanding of the Scriptures.   If we are seeking God's wisdom and applying it to the way we live, then we will reflect the power and the presence of the risen Christ and demonstrate to the world that God's way is best.  God wants us to grow in the knowledge of Him and allow His truth to permeate every area of our lives, and recognize that Scripture speaks to how we can live in the present age with a sense of confidence in the God within us, including the decisions we make and the way we relate to other people.

In 1st Corinthians chapter 1, the apostle Paul asks some penetrating questions as He touts the importance of being spiritually wise:
20Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?21For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.22For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom;23but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness,24but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.
The headline has certainly turned some heads: David Wise's alternative lifestyle leads to Olympic gold - that is on the NBC Olympics website.  So, what is it about the first-ever freestyle skiing halfpipe gold medalist that causes the way he lives his life to be characterized as "alternative"?   The article says:
David Wise is at the top of his sport. He’s always smiling among his friends and competitors, however, he’s not like the rest of the field. He is mature.
Not to say the rest of the freestyle skiers of halfpipe are not mature, but Wise is mature far beyond his years. At only twenty-three years old, he has a wife, Alexander, who was waiting patiently in the crowd, and together they have a two-year-old daughter waiting for them to return to their home in Reno, Nevada. 

At such a young age, Wise has the lifestyle of an adult. He wears a Baby Bjorn baby carrier around the house. He also attends church regularly and says he could see himself becoming a pastor a little later down the road.
Not exactly the picture you had in mind while watching him nail two double corks wearing baggy pants.
I do think that this young man obviously has his priorities in place, flowing from a deep-rooted faith in Christ. The articles nail it when it says:
Wise is, well, wise. He knows where his head should be at all time, focused on being the best father and husband he can be. Then comes skiing.
David says that there is a higher purpose to his life, and even to his craft of skiing:
“When you’re out there skiing for something bigger than just yourself, it just takes a lot of the pressure off for me. I’m happy and content, fulfilled. I have an amazing life outside of skiing. I don’t have to perform at any time, I just get to go out and do what I enjoy doing.”
In a piece from FCA.org in the Crossmap section of The Christian Post website, we read a quote from Wise:
"Faith plays a huge role because it enables me to be confident...I don't have to worry about what's happening or the outside influences as much because I feel like I can trust God, and He's going to see me through. I can look back on my path and realize that God had a pretty significant part in taking care of me. It takes the pressure off and I can enjoy it."
David is involved in FCA and speaks at schools in the Reno area.  So, his so-called, "alternative lifestyle" could really be described as a "distinctive" lifestyle.  He says, "I don't think my fellow athletes look down on me for the way I live my life. They can see that it works. They have to have respect for the way I do things because I'm the guy out there winning the thing - at least thus far in the season. It's a cool dynamic that we have going."

In order to live that life that "works", he tries to maintain a connection with the Lord.  He said to Crossmap,
"I always try to wake up and spend some quiet time, try and center myself and really feel connected to God and what He's trying to say or speak into my life. As long as I have that, it becomes easier for me to just go out and enjoy what I do."

He also that he wants to be known for his actions related to his faith:  "My faith is something that I've wanted to live out, not talk about," he says. "I would rather be known for my actions rather than my words. If you ask me about it, I'll tell you about it, but I'm just going to try to live the best life I can and be an example in that way."

So, that's the "alternative lifestyle"?   Well, it's basic Christianity, and in this culture today, it's something that each of us can be challenged to live out.   What are some components of David's life that really make him, "wise"?   First of all, as I just mentioned, he tries to stay connected.  He recognizes that He has a relationship with God, and tries to spend some quiet time.   He is attentive to what God is wanting to speak into his life.  Throughout the day, it can be helpful to us to stay in relationship, to have communion with God the Father through Christ.

He also demonstrates the importance of setting solid priorities.   He recognizes that His life has a purpose beyond his skiing.   He puts time with God in first place, and he places a high value on his wife and daughter.   He says the pressure is taken off because his life is centered on his spiritual relationship.

Finally, he is intent on living out his faith.  He believes that his actions communicate the truth of the presence of the Lord within him.  He wants to be a Godly example to those around Him, not merely talking about faith, but showing it.   We can always say that we believe in God, but if our actions do not line up, then we are not bringing the proper honor to Him.   We can be encouraged to be people who live out Godly character day by day.

No comments:

Post a Comment