Monday, January 23, 2012

The Expression of Hope

Hebrews 6 says this:
3 When God made his promise to Abraham, since there was no one greater for him to swear by, he swore by himself, 14 saying, "I will surely bless you and give you many descendants.", and at the conclusion of this passage, we read.
19 We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. 

I've had hope on my mind today.   I read a quote from Arizona Representative Gabrielle Giffords, the victim of an assassination attempt, who posted a video on her website, saying, in part, "I don't remember much from that horrible day, but I will never forget the trust you placed in me to be your voice. Thank you for your prayers and for giving me time to recover.  I have more work to do on my recovery so to do what is best for Arizona I will step down this week"   Hope can bring strength...to change, to grow, to heal.

Then she said, "I'm getting better. Every day, my spirit is high. I will return and we will work together for Arizona and this great country. Thank you very much."  So she resigns, not in defeat, but in optimism for her recovery.

In contrast, Joe Paterno didn't resign when he was asked to in the wake of a horrific scandal at the university that he so dearly loved.  He wanted to coach the remainder of the season; he couldn't - he was abruptly fired.   Not too long after that, he was diagnosed with cancer, and 2 months later, he was dead.   He expressed regret that he had not done more in response to the report that his assistant coach was perhaps involved in deviant behavior. 

Perhaps, perhaps not, despair and regret, two powerful forces, were prevalent in the wake of his losing the job he had held for 45 years, leading Penn State to 409 victories, the most in Division I history.  But, in the end, he became a symbol of a dark moment in university history, but perhaps his incredible legacy will be enshrined with his on-the-field heroics, rather than the off-the-field heartache.   Paterno was someone who instilled hope in student-athletes, and even though his final days were apparently not full of that hope, I know many Penn State fans hope that he is remembered appropriately.   Hope can bring a desire to achieve, to be the best...and despair & regret are enemies of hope.

And, even in the aftermath of some 54 million babies who have lost their lives to abortion since Roe vs. Wade in 1973, an anticipated hundreds of thousands gathered again this year at the National Mall to stand in favor of life, against abortion, with hope for the future that lives can be saved as we become involved.  Hope anticipates a better day even when there is tragedy...

And, that's a good word today for people in a section of Jefferson County north of Birmingham, the Clay area - a beautiful place where I used to live - which was one of many areas that suffered damage as the result of an early morning tornadoes.   I remember areas such as Center Point, Chalkville, Pinson, and Trussville fondly, and know that many are facing loss of hope today - but Christian volunteers are already swinging into action...I'm sure that the a number of faith-based organizations are either on the scene or will be soon.  Christian Service Mission, which was a major player in helping residents of north Birmingham after the April 27 tornadoes, is already mobilizing.  Hope can be expressed through acts of charity...

So, what's the source of your hope today?    In Christ, believers have the chance to experience this hope, and know that God is going before us to express His will and magnify His name.   The power of hope is an unstoppable force, and true, lasting hope is found in the power and presence of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment